New Recipe Alert. Check out this recipe for a delicious Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Turkey Burger. Bon Appetit!
- 4 small yellow onions peeled and sliced into half-moons
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 lb cremini (baby bella) mushrooms cleaned and quartered
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta or blue cheese
- Iceberg lettuce for “lettuce bun”
- Start by caramelizing the onions, as this step can take up to half an hour. Heat 1 Tbs. olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, stir to coat with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Spread onions out evenly across the pan and let cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and caramelized, about 25-30 minutes. Don’t stir the onions too often so they can brown, but don’t leave them alone long enough to burn or stick to the pan. You may need to reduce the heat or add a splash of water to deglaze the pan a few times to prevent onions from burning. Once they’re done, set aside in a small bowl. This step can be done ahead of time and onions can be warmed up in the microwave before topping burger.
- Prepare sautéed mushrooms. Stir in 1 tbs olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, oregano, and mushrooms. Cook for 20 to 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Prepare turkey burgers by gently mixing ground turkey, Dijon mustard, thyme, sage, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper in a bowl. Form into four patties, being careful not to overwork the mixture.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray or drizzle with oil. Cook turkey burgers until cooked through (center no longer pink, juices run clear, internal temperature of 165°F), about 5 minutes per side. Add crumbled feta cheese to each burger about 1-2 minutes before it’s done cooking so the cheese can melt slightly.
- Top with caramelized onion and Mushrooms.
- Serve in a lettuce bun or over a salad.
Share this Recipe